Tucson's transit providers have teamed up with local businesses to make commuting to work convenient and affordable for employees through the Get on Board program. Organizations can increase employee productivity and morale, be recognized as good corporate citizens and benefit the environment. There are many reasons businesses should consider participating in the program.
Get on Board is an easy-to-use program that allows forward-thinking employers to help their employees travel to and from work with ease. Plus, it lowers commuting costs, reduces traffic congestion, and improves Tucson's air quality.
Attract and retain good employees
Transit benefits enhance your company's overall benefits package to help you attract and retain good employees. Given the cost of hiring and re-training employees, this low-cost benefit could easily pay for itself. And, transit passes are a benefit employees can use every day.
Reduce parking needs
Encouraging public transit increases parking spaces for customers at your business.
Increase employee productivity
Riding transit to work means employees arrive relaxed and ready for the day. They also feel good knowing about the Guaranteed RideHome Program so they're not stranded without a ride if something unexpected occurs.
Enhance your organization's image
Companies that help reduce traffic congestion are seen as highly desired organizations and good community neighbors.
Earn a tax deduction
The federal tax code permits employers who pay for any part of an employee's transit pass to structure their payment to reduce payroll taxes. And, there are no IRS reporting requirements. Learn more about Tax Benefits.
Satisfy Travel Reduction Program (TRP) requirements
Companies with over 100 employees can earn credits towards meeting their TRP goals through the Get on Board program. For more information on TRP, visit the Travel Reduction Program.
If you are considering offering some type of commuter program, here are some questions to get you started.
- What does your company hope to accomplish?
- How many employees will want to participate?
- How much are you willing to spend?
- How much administrative time will the program take?
You're now ready to move forward. The Get on Board program offers a range of tools to help you design a program that is suited to your businesses' needs. Here are some steps to get you started.
Choose a transportation coordinator (TC)
This employee is a liaison between the company, co-workers and local transit providers.
Survey your employees
Learn how employees are currently getting to work and if they'd be interested in riding Sun Tran, Sun Link or Sun Shuttle. The Get on Board Survey can get you started.
Decide how to participate
There are four ways companies can participate:
- Sell SunGO Cards & add passes or value on site. Give your employees the convenience of adding transit passes or value to their SunGO Card. Each month you can add a pass or value to the SunGO Card or SunGO ID & Card of your employees. This can be done automatically or manually as needed.
- Subsidize some or all of the cost of a bus pass. Offering a subsidy motivates employees to give transit a try. Your company decides how much of the cost of a transit pass to subsidize and the individual employee pays the remaining balance.
- Reimburse employees for their passes. Companies can also choose to reimburse employees for some or all of the cost of their transit pass. Companies that reimburse, however, are not eligible for tax savings.
- Third-Party benefit providers. Private firms known as third-party benefit providers can work with employers to develop, implement and administer tax benefits. While the Get on Board program does not endorse or recommend any specific providers, Wageworks has worked with Tucson employers.
Determine the type of passes to purchase
Tucson-area transit providers accept popular 30-Day pass that can be loaded on a SunGO Card or SunGO ID & Card. For prices and more detailed information go to Fares & Passes.
Sign up and begin ordering passes
When your company decides to sell SunGO, a Get on Board Pass Provider Agreement will be sent for your signature. This Agreement states the terms and conditions of receiving products. You'll also receive information on how to manage your account online.
Spread the word
The Get on Board program offers a variety of materials to help you inform your employees about the program.
- Transportation Fair: A Transportation Fair is an excellent way to inform your employees about their commuting options. A transit representative can attend your fair and help employees plan their commute on Sun Tran, Sun Link and/or Sun Shuttle. A Transportation Fair Request will get you started to schedule this event. Printed Materials: click on this printed materials order form for posters, system maps, and Passes Sold Here signs.
For more information on the Get on Board program, contact the SunGO Pass Program Manager at (520) 206-8859.
A number of organizations provide general information on the benefits of transit and associated tax savings.
Commuter Choice, a nationwide partnership designed to help employers create customized solutions to their employees' commuting challenges.
The Association for Commuter Transportation, an association for professionals who specialize in commuting options and solutions as well as organizations, businesses and individuals interested in creating a more workable transportation system.